· 1 answer
· 28 views · 1 vote · posted by Kyle Adams
What's the best way to cook venison?
I've heard that stew might be a good way to do it. If so, does anyone have a good recipe?
The best way to cook venison like deer, or rabbit, or boar is to keep it in a tenderizing mixture for a week. This softens up the meat, greatly reduces cooking time, and even removes the strong smells which venison gives off. Tenderizing is not necessary for young pheasant and quail.
Here's a great recipe for meat tenederizing:
- 1 large onion halved and cut up into slices
- 2 large carrots cut up into slices
- 3l of water
- 1 table spoon coarse salt (non iodine)
- 1 table spoon pepper corns
- 8-10 bay leaves
- 2 table spoons vinegar (add these when the water boils)
Bring all the ingredients, except the vinegar, to a boil in a large enough pot. Cut the meat into large chunks and trim the skin and some of the fat. Wash the meat well and gently place it in the boiling seasoned water. Turn off the heat and place the pot in a secure spot to cool off. Then keep in the fridge for 5-7 days. After this you can cook the meat as you like.